Cheat-Seeking Missles

Thursday, December 08, 2005

It Was Twenty(five) Years Ago Today

It was probably the last day I will cry over news of a dead rock star, but I cried that day.

I was driving home from San Diego and heard the news on NPR's All Things Considered -- John Lennon was dead. I cried behind the wheel, and a couple times later that night as I listened to the memorials on local radio.

What would have been? Blogger Solid Surfer posits that John would be a card-carrying Republican today:
Clearly, Lennon was no career leftwing activist; rather, it was a particular phase in his highly varied and fascinating life, and as he grew older, he certainly appeared to grow more conservative in his cultural and family outlook. At the same time, he always railed against establishment stagnancy, and today, it is the Democrats, particularly those on the far left, who have largely assumed this characteristic. I believe John would have continued these personal trends, and were he alive today, would with sharp moral clarity support America's efforts to achieve freedom around the world.
A nice thought on a still-sad anniversary. I can't help it. As far as I've moved since Dec. 8, 1980, it is still sad for me.

h/t Best of the Web