Cheat-Seeking Missles

Thursday, October 13, 2005

Blatant Miers Sexism In LATimes

So you think Laura Bush's quick brush-aside of Matt Lauer's sexism question was bad? How about this piece of profoundly sexist garbage that ran in this morning's LATimes under a mask of "humor."
When Harry met George
By John Kenney, JOHN KENNEY is a humorist who has just finished his first novel.

"'You are the best governor ever -- deserving of great respect,' Harriet Miers wrote to George W. Bush days after his 51st birthday in July 1997.... Ms. Miers, President Bush's selection for a Supreme Court seat, emerges as an unabashed fan in more than 2,000 pages of official correspondence." The New York Times

#

December 29, 1997

Hi!

So great seeing you and Laura at the Christmas party. Christmas is my favorite holiday. What's yours? Because if it's something else that will be my new favorite too! Ha-ha. But seriously, it will. I love you. As a friend.

Harry (but I'm a girl)

#

January 30, 1998

Hello again George and Laura,

Just a quick note as I make my way to the supermarket (aren't groceries great?!). And also to say that I'm STILL thinking about how I saw you both at Christmas and how great that was for me (and you?).

Your biggest fan, for George, I mean, less so for Laura!

#

July 9, 1999

I was reading a biography of Winston Churchill and was fascinated to learn that he was born to a father of privilege and power and wealth and that he wrote "A History of the English-Speaking Peoples" before he was 30 and traveled the world and was a decorated soldier and a painter and an architect and an orator, and I immediately thought of you and also of how fun it would be to have a cookout! Texas and the world is (are?) lucky to have you at the helm! Wouldn't it be neat to be on the Supreme Court? Me, I mean. I'm working out more and hope you find me attractive.

Most very fondly,
Harriet! (which is how I'm signing my name now)

#
And on it goes through another click of letters denigrating the intelligence, poise and mental state of a woman who is competent enough to be the personal lawyer to the most powerful man on the planet. Portraying her as a giddy teenage girl has nothing to do with her record, her abilities or her personna. It is merely vicious sexism for the sake of being viciously sexist.

Nothing like this would have been written if Harriet Miers were a man.

And nothing like this would have been published if there weren't an LATimes, always so PC in its policies, unless it can attack the Bush administration by by publishing revoltingly objectionable tripe like this.