Good And Bad Quotes On Iraq Study Group
- John McCain: "There's only one thing worse than an over-stressed Army and Marine Corps, and that's a defeated Army and Marine Corps. I believe this [report] is a recipe that will lead to our defeat sooner or later in Iraq," McCain added. (source)
- Joseph Leiberman: "I'm skeptical that it's realistic to think that Iran wants to help the United States succeed in Iraq. They are, after all, supporting Hezbollah, which gathers people in the square in Beirut to shout 'Death to America.'" (source)
- "This report is a recognition of the limitation of American power," said Abdel Moneim Said, head of Al-Ahram Center for Political and Strategic studies in Cairo. "In the short term, America will highly suffer the loss of its reputation and credibility in the region."
- Anwar el-Hawari, editor in chief of an Egyptian tabloid: "Practically, this means that this is the real end of Bush rule, his policies and the neo-conservative groups. This also means that the coming two years left in his term will be a period of a political vacuum."
- Kevin Martin, executive director of Peace Action: “The civil war in Iraq is spiraling out of control and it’s unclear whether the government of Prime Minister (Nuri) Al-Maliki can survive, yet the report will call for ‘gradual’ withdrawal of troops. It’s no time for gradual anything. We need bold and creative actions to dramatically change the dynamics in Iraq, not tepid recommendations for political consumption at home.”
Meanwhile, Hillary seemed to imply that she was all for the report's recommendations, saying, "We need the White House to become the 'Iraq Results Group.'" Cute, eh? She wants so badly to avoid having any solid positions pinned on her.
hat-tips: Brietbart and Drudge
Related Tags: Iraq Study Group, McCain, Leiberman, Clinton, Iraq, War on Terror