Cheat-Seeking Missles

Wednesday, November 10, 2004

Reflections on a Riot of Bias

Thank you all for your additions to and comments on the Scoundrel Chronicles, which appear below. After logging 117 entries, I'm stopping for a moment to consider what it all means.

Over half the entries came from you guys, and as I read your emails three things were evident.

First, you are one intelligent bunch. Your examples were accompanied by thoughtful analysis, considerable wit and rich context. This might surprise many in the media and the blue states, who seem to mispronounce "conservative" as "conn-able." You're not easily conned.

Secondly, for all your criticism of MSM, you're not very dependent on them. I was linked to many Web sites through you and found that you mine a rich vein of data to inform yourselves and form your opinions. I'm sure that like me, many of you experienced a same strange phenomenon this year: during the final days of the campaign, my newspapers sat in my driveway because I was blogging and surfing for news.

And finally, you are angry and frustrated with the continuous efforts by the MSM -- conscious and subconscious -- to influence this election. They think us easily duped and easily led, rats to their Pied Piper. They misread you, and millions like you, and their infernal piping drove you away from Kerry, not toward him.

By being the Democrats' cheerleaders, they became part of the Democrats' problem, exhibiting the same disconnection, misperceptions, smugness and insulting sense of superiority. And they all worked together to defeat themselves.