Cheat-Seeking Missles

Thursday, November 02, 2006

When My Wife Heard God

After the earthquake came a fire, but the Lord was not in the fire. And after the fire came a gentle whisper.
1 Kings 19:12

Through the earthquake shaking his cave, Elijah called out to God but heard nothing.

When fire burned through the sky, Elijah called out to God but heard nothing.

It was only in the quiet moment after these crashing storms when Elijah heard God's voice.

I was reminded of this favorite Bible story when I read Incredible Wife's comment on my recent post about how we almost lost Incredible Daughter #2 before we even saw her.

In that post, I explained how a doctor told us that my wife should abort ID#2 because a medication she was taking would lead to deformities.

Writing of our drive away from the brain-storm of that information, my pre-Christian heart and mind had nowhere to go. My wife, a believer since she can remember, knew just where to go. Here's her comment:
Hi, I am the mother of incredible daughter #2. What I REALLY remember from this was something telling me, "Don't listen to that doctor! Your baby is going to be just fine!" I also know in my heart that, that voice was from God, and I am forever grateful that I listened to that still small voice and let it guide me at such a traumatic time. It gave me such a focused clear peace about our baby, and I am so happy I listened to such an important message!
What would have happened if Beth hadn't known to listen? Fortunately, we'll never know. A second doctor told us to forget that diagnosis and go ahead with the pregnancy, so we now have this amazing daughter.

Related Tags: , , ,