Cheat-Seeking Missles

Sunday, October 23, 2005

What's Your "Best Novels" Score?

Time Magazine has published its list of the 100 greatest novels of all time. I've read 20 of them, which I suppose is a rather pathetic score. What's your score?

Of the 20, there are only a couple I'd read again. Of the 80 I haven't read, not too many would break through my non-fiction reading obsession.

And what missing books would you have put on? For me, two quick ones that come to mind are Shoeless Joe by W.P. Kinsella, a fine baseball novel (and any American list of 100 great books should have a baseball novel) that was made into the fine baseball movie Field of Dreams, and The Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan.

It's an amazingly eurocentric list, in part because it is limited to books written in English. It's short of angry black and brown novels, which are of course written in English, and Time is sure to take some flack for that. But I had to read some of those in college, and they weren't very good novels, so bravo to Time.