Cheat-Seeking Missles

Sunday, January 22, 2006

Eco-Freaks Strut And Whine

With the FBI's arrest and the DOJ's indictment of 11 eco-whackos on 65 counts of various terror and arson crimes, I thought it might be illuminating to drop by the Earth Liberation Front Web site.

Until a year ago, this site was a spectacle of nastiness, but it's been toned down quite a bit, looking positively corporate today. Instead of a harrangue about the arrests of "the people" by "the pigs," there's just a neat little AP story about the arrests.

But over on the opinion page, there's something interesting. It starts with this email that landed on ELF's door:

Received via email:
"I live in the Sammamish area and cannot believe the acts of Arson the Federal officials say you have been committing. I'm not saying you did or didn't commit these crimes. What I'm asking you to do is realize how devastating this could have been. There are children in the area that could have been hurt, there are a lot of animals in the area.My children are now afraid to go to bed at night, because we live near there and they think someone is going to burn our house down as well.

I'm asking you to re-think how you go about trying to get your message across to the public, because this is not the best way to do so. The house that was destroyed, is in the most treed area on that hill, the builder worked hard to preserve all of the trees he could, except for where the house needed to go. I've lived in pierce county before I moved north and I love the fact that builders work much harder in this area vs. pierce county to preserve the wooded areas.

If your group was responsible for this, I hope you are making plans to correct this kind of behavior, because it is a poor reflection of your organization and only proves that you do not have what it takes to go through the proper channels to get things done, you take the coward way out. I hope that in the future you allow your self some project management time in which to come up with a more constructive approach to saving the "Earth", rather than to scare children and make home owners afraid to leave their homes.Thank you for your time."

A reasonable plea, right? People have to live somewhere, and if they're responsible and work to live in proper context with the environment, all should be merry and bright, don't ya think?

Well, indictments or not, ELF is sticking to its incindiaries:

Received via email as a response:
"At least ELF gets its point across. Do you people know how ubeliveably frustrating that something that is so important to me, something that I believe in, is disregarded and ignored by everyone else. The enviroment is important, and if this (arson) is the only effective way of getting that point across, that I have no problem destroying an SUV or some stupid mansion. I mean, you people dont even realize the magnificence of what you are bulldozing to erect some stupid shopping mall. I for one, refuse to go quietly.

And so much for Democracy; let's here it for the arrogant revolutionary. "I feel that way and that's all that matters," he screams. "Me, me, me! I'm the only smart one! Everyone else is stupid! It's them that are crazy, not me! So I act the way I want to, and who cares what you ignorant majority-types think?"

You can tell ELF what you think of whiney, selfish, deluded eco-freaks by writing them at info@earthliberationfront.com.