Cheat-Seeking Missles

Wednesday, February 09, 2005

LATimes Responds ... But Not On Point

I sent my "I quit" posting to most of the execs at the LATimes for comment and finally got back an answer. Basically, they called me a li ... well, they challenged the validity of my statement. But I am one truthful guy; the conversation occurred exactly as I presented it.

The conversation:
LAT: Do you enjoy the business, sports and calendar coverage in the Times?

CSM: No, not particularly. Why?

LAT: Well, if you would still like to still receive those parts of the paper, we can deliver them to you without the news sections.

CSM: [thunderstruck silence]
The LAT's response:
Laer,

We're responding to the item posted yesterday on the Cheat Seeking Missiles blog.

We're not certain whether there was a miscommunication or misunderstanding but for the record: Los Angeles Times subscriptions are marketed and sold only as a complete package containing all daily sections. There are no options for receiving only certain sections of the newspaper.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Regards,
David

Director, Media Relations
Los Angeles Times
O: 213-237-4715
F: 213-346-8451
david.garcia@latimes.com
www.latimes.com
www.latimes.com/mediacenter
And my response back:
David,

Thanks for your reply, which I've posted on the blog.

I stand by my representation of the story. It occurred exactly as I presented it, so there are supervisors in your circulation department who are doing things you seem to not know about.

With your circulation plummeting, and with that drop paralleling an increasing movement toward conservative values in this country, do you guys ever consider dropping your obvious liberal biases? Now that would be a circulation-building campaign with a chance of success!

Laer
www.cheatseekingmissiles.blogspot.com

PS: You might read through the comments that have come in on the post I sent you to get a sense for the built-up anger against your publication.