Cheat-Seeking Missles

Tuesday, February 01, 2005

Honeymoon With My Brother

An old friend and great writer, Franz Wisner, has written a book with a great buzz about it that's sure to be a great read, Honeymoon With My Brother. Let Franz tell the story:
My brother and I just returned from a long trip. My honeymoon, actually. You see, a funny thing happened on my way to the altar. My fiancée dumped me the week of our wedding. Ouch, huh? But I’m an optimist. I didn’t panic (well, maybe just a little). I decided to have a wedding anyway…just without a bride (highly recommended, by the way -- all the fun, no hideous bridal party dresses).

I also decided to go on a scheduled Costa Rican honeymoon with my recently divorced brother, Kurt. We canceled the flower petals on the beds, swapped champagne for beer and promised not to carry each other over any thresholds. During the trip, a strange thing happened. I realized that having my life turn upside-down might not be such a bad thing after all.

So, Kurt and I decided to extend our honeymoon. Big time. We quit our jobs, sold our homes, gave away our clothes and furniture, discarded cell phones and pagers (I think Kurt used a nine iron on his). That was early 2000. Since then we’ve honeymooned through nearly 60 countries in Eastern Europe, Latin America, Southeast Asia and Africa.
There's more on his site, linked above, plus your very own click-through there to Amazon.