Cheat-Seeking Missles

Tuesday, January 11, 2005

Stars Sing for Victims; Will They Give?

NBC isn't about to sacrifice its main channel for tsunami relief, but on Saturday night, all its cable channels (USA, Bravo, Trio and SCI FI) will broadcast a benefit for tsunami relief, with proceeds going to the American Red Cross. (here)

Scheduled to appear are: Madonna, Sheryl Crow, Diana Ross, Stevie Wonder, Maroon 5, Norah Jones, Sarah McLachlan, Mary J. Blige, Lenny Kravitz, John Mayer, Kenny Chesney, India.Arie, Tom Jones, Eric Clapton, Roger Waters, Brian Wilson and Gloria Estefan.

Let's see ... I would love to see Sarah McLachlan and Eric Clapton, but after that its a mix of lukewarm nostalgia and disinterest.

But why a telethon? Why do we need to watch celebrities and musicians in order to give? And why don't these overpaid and largely underwhelming people just save us the trouble and dig deep into their own coffers instead of digging deep for that sustained high note?

It's my prayer I'm wrong. It's my prayer that the telecast will start with a kitty of $10 or $20 million, contributed by the performers, to get the ball rolling. That would be a wonderful thing ... but I don't know if I can bring myself to watch a Hollywood produced telethon with stars being all heartfelt and all about the tragedy in order to find out if my prayer is answered.

Instead, I think it's time to log onto the ol' World Vision site again.