Cheat-Seeking Missles

Tuesday, February 05, 2008

McCain Mutiny

Right up front, I'll give credit for that clever headline to Howard Kurtz, who used it today in his WaPo column on Rush Limbaugh's campaign against McCain.

I hope Rush pulls it off. I hope he and his brethren/sistren dazzlingly accomplish their miracle and pole-ax the pollsters and their predictions, which e RCP summarizes thusly: McCain leading in California, New York, Georgia, Illinois, Missouri, Tennessee, Arizona, New Jersey and Alabama. Romney leading in Massachusetts.

Remind anyone of McGovern?

That's one heck of a gap to bridge, and I really hope Mitt bridges it, with the help of Limbaugh and his talk show allies. But one might be thinking that even if one has a mike in front of his nose for three hours a day and 600 stations wired into it, this just might be too wide a gap to close.

That's not Limbaugh. Not only does he push on; he defiantly breaks the 11th commandment:
"If I believe the country will suffer with either Hillary, Obama or McCain, I would just as soon the Democrats take the hit . . . rather than a Republican causing the debacle," he said. "And I would prefer not to have conservative Republicans in the Congress paralyzed by having to support, out of party loyalty, a Republican president who is not conservative."
Laura Ingraham has joined him:
"There is no way in hell I could pull the lever for John McCain."
It seems the trendy thing for these hosts, obsessed as they are on McCain/Feingold and judicial confirmations -- things that most voters don't even know about -- to join the "it's just four years club." Give the Dems the sandbox for four years, they say, let them screw things up badly and Americans will run back to their beloved and humbled GOP, and skip into paradise.

I've made that argument myself, but have discarded it as far too dangerous. Just look at the number of Supreme Court justices you spot buying Depends and tell me we have four years to give Hillary or Obama.

Just look at the heart of the jihadist and tell me it's time to stick our tails between our legs and our heads in the sand for four years.

Just look at the spiraling entitlements -- both the programs and the national sense of it -- and tell me our nation an survive four years of give-away Dems in the House, Senate and White House.

And just look at our economy and tell me it's the right time to concede the presidency without a whimper to Hillary or Barack.

Kurtz reminds us that Limbaugh backed Pat Buchanan over W's dad with similar emotion, then changed horses and was a strong supporter of Bush for president. I hope these radiofolk can show the same maturity now. Imagine listening to them for the next four (or eight!) years, railing against Obama or Clinton, and knowing they did nothing to stop them from getting into office. What credibility would they have? They'd be worse than non-voters, and I'd be hard pressed to listen to them.

Well, I'm off to cast my vote for Romney. Then I'll be in the Bay Area all day for meetings, not getting home until 9 p.m. By then we'll know how Super Tuesday went, and whether there's a race to be run for anyone other than McCain.

And if it turns out like the polls suggest, with McCain as all but nominated, tomorrow morning we can turn on our radios and see if Ingraham and Limbaugh have regained their senses, and realized that in a world of bad choices, McCain is the better bad choice and Obama or Clinton the worse -- by far.

Labels: , , ,