Cheat-Seeking Missles

Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Mixing Religion And Politics

Sometimes religion and politics do mix. Roy Moore is a city council member in the Orange County city of Brea who recently had to have a heart valve replacement. Check out this, from his regular e-mail to constituents:
Dear Fellow Brean:
On July 22, I decided to go public about my scheduled aorta valve replacement to take place on July 27 and subsequently postponed until Monday, August 1. I thought long and hard about limiting this information to family and close friends. If one believes strongly, however, in the power of prayer wouldn't this dilute the "Power?" After all I didn't ask that people acknowledge they were praying for me but that they would just lift me up. This is Brea, and although we may not all be on the same spiritual cycle, we do care about each other. It has nothing to do with being spiritually or politically correct and everything to being connected with God in such a way that we can ask him to bless our friends, and yes, our enemies, if need be.
Let me share with you what happened immediately. There was this massive outpouring of concern from our community. Hundreds of e-mails were received each containing best wishes for a quick recovery, prayer support and promises to pass it on to others. These continue to come in still today. At least five Brea churches have me on their prayer list and I know there are others. The Baptist congregation in Chehalis, Washington has lifted me up. I have received an e-mail from London and one from a friend who is in Jerusalem who promised to pray for me at the Wall. If a subscriber to Brea Net moves from Brea, I do not delete his/her name from my list. I do so only when requested, believing some news from the old home town might be welcomed. Because of this policy I have heard from many former residents now living in other states. I haven't even mentioned all the cards that line the walls of our kitchen or the plant gifts adding beauty to our environment. Well, does prayer work?
[He then explains his condition for a few paragraphs, including this statement from his doctor: "This was the worst looking valve I have seen in the last 15 years, you have no business being alive."]
Now let's go back to the question at the end of the second paragraph, does prayer work? Most emphatically yes! Most emphatically in Brea where prayers go beyond simple acts of kindness. I just can't help but feel that God has touched me with a miracle and that he isn't through with me yet. Thanks to each of you for being there for me, I am a truly blessed person.
God's Blessings:
Roy
I'm sure the ACLU would be appalled, but really, what's the harm in Roy's email, even if official government electrons were used in its dissemination?

If you'd like to extend your good wishes to Roy, you can reach him at rmoorebrea@aol.com.